FrEdLey

Home on Whidbey is a family blog revolving around Fran, Ed, Brad, Yessi, plus puppy Benton, and our family, travels, friends, neighbors and community. Thanks for reading.

Sunday

Thru-Hiker



The straight line distance from Cape Reinga to Bluff is 1475 km, however the Te Araroa Trail will cover a longer distance of 3030 km (1882.8 miles). It is estimated that a tramp along the full length of the trail will take approximately 4 months. Brad had allowed five months, and that's what it will take. Throw in injury recovery time; side trips to special places; and towns that can snag you for rest, gear replacement, visits with friends, or "real food"; and the tramp time, and miles, increases. But, nevertheless, no matter the time needed to complete the trail, it turns the tramper ( hiker, trekker, walker or rambler) into a thru-hiker, end-to-end hiker, or end-to-ending hiker.  

I love this picture of Brad because, in my mind, he looks exactly like I'd expect a thru-hiker to look. It captures the essence of a person who had taken too many steps to count, looks a little rag tag from taking all those steps, but has a huge grin to show how exciting it has been to take all those steps.


Brad, now the consummate freestyle thru-hiker, on the Routeburn Track, Te Araroa Trail detour


The words of a thru-hiker, on another trail, but a thought I've wondered about as Brad has tramped from Cape Reinga to Bluff on the Te Araroa Trail:
At some moment during the trek, I wondered if I would be happy the day I reached the Canadian line, or if I'd feel dull and letdown because there was no trail left to do. Sure enough, my last hiking day was not my best. I found myself wanting the trail to continue... It's an old truism, I guess: the enjoyment is in the going more than in the goal...
Anonymous End-to-End Hiker











To finish the moment, to find the journey's end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments: