- New Zealand's $5 bill has the face of New Zealander Sir Edmund Hillary on it -- the first man to reach the peak of Mt. Everest.
- New Zealand's media is one of the most liberal in the world.
- There are 9 sheep to every human in New Zealand (it was once 20 to 1).
- In 1893 it became legal for all male and female citizens of NZ to vote, making it the first major nation to have universal suffrage.
- In 1642 Dutch sailor Abel Tasman became the first European to discover NZ.
- No part of NZ is more than 128 km from the sea.
- NZ has more Scottish pipe bands per head of population than Scotland.
- For every 7,500 people, NZ has a bookshop, giving it more bookshops per head of population than any other country.
- NZ has two anthems: God Save the Queen and God Defend New Zealand.
- Religions: None 40%, Anglican 17%, Roman Catholic 14%, Presbyterian 11%.
- NZ's landscape consists of vast mountain chains, steaming volcanoes, extensive coastlines, deep fiords and lush rainforests, making it spectacularly varied and beautiful.
- NZ is a safe country with no shots for entering the country required or recommended by the World Health Organization.
- NZ is the first country to greet the dawn of each new day.
- Tipping is not expected in NZ and employed people don't depend of tips for their incomes.
- Ethnicity in NZ is: European, 80%; Maori, 14%, Asian, 7% and Pacific Islander, 6%.
- Lord of the Rings was filmed entirely in New Zealand.
- The velcro-strip was invented by a New Zealander.
- Languages: English, Maori, NZ Sign Language.
- New Zealand's Head of State is Queen Elizabeth.
Did you know?
Posted by fredley at 3/14/2012 12:39:00 PM